Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The day I died – Part Three

Ventricular fibrillationImage from WikipediaI did not have a heart attack but I had an irregular heartbeat. For some reason my heart has an extra beat and my heart rate varies from 55 to 120 back and forth. This is the condition from which the Reverend Jerry Farwell died this year.

After a stay over night at Norwood Hospital I was shipped of to St. Elizabeth’s in Boston. They had to determine if I needed a pacemaker or not. The whole Idea was quit scary but my thoughts were not on me but what would happen to my wife and children if I died. I could not bear to have them suffer.

At St. Elizabeth Hospital they were going to do a procedure on me called an oblation. This were they strap you to a table not much wider than an ironing board. They inserted a probe in to my vain in my right leg. This probe went all the way up into the inside of my heart. Now this procedure is normally done when the patient is asleep but because they were uncertain of why my heart stopped they kept me awake threw the entire ordeal.

As mentioned earlier the probe when threw the vain in my right leg near my groin and up into the inside of my heart. They then proceed in giving the inside of my heart a series of electric shocks to see how it responded to the stimulus. This was like having and internal cattle prod inside of my heart. It was quite painful.

After they finish with the shocks they cauterized a section of my heart to help get the irregular heartbeats under control. This two was quite painful being wide-awake. All I could do was lye as still as possible and pray. Pray that I would make it through this ordeal but most of all pray that I was here for my wife and kids.

1 comments:

Description of Virgo said...

Thanks for writing such a good article, I stumbled onto your blog and read a few post. I like your style of writing...